Recipe: Rum Old Fashioned
After a fabulous day of sailing on Nemo, there is nothing better than sipping on a delicious cocktail as the sun sets.
One of Captain Neil’s favourite rum sundowners is a Rum Old Fashioned. We first tasted one at Pillars in Nelson’s Dockyard in Antigua. And it has been on Nemo’s cocktail menu ever since, with a few little tweaks of course!
Rum Old Fashioned Ingredients
- 4 – 6 oz lime juice
- 2 oz dark rum
- 1 oz white rum
- 1 oz Clémente sugar syrup
- A dash of Angostura bitters
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Find all the ingredients for this recipe at BlueFoot Travel’s Amazon Shop.
- Squeeze the juice from lime wedges into a measuring glass. We ideally use fresh lime, but sometimes we have to use bottled juice. We like a lot of lime, but start with a little less and add more after tasting
- Add lime, rums and sugar syrup to a shaker filled with ice
- Add a dash of bitters
- Shake and taste
- Add more lime if desired. Taste
- Fill glass with ice. Pour in the cocktail
- Top with grated nutmeg
- Serve and enjoy! Cheers ?
Our Favourite Rums
We are often asked what our favourite rums are for making cocktails. We try new ones all the time, but here are a few we like a lot!
For mixing we use rum’s aged between 5 and 7 years:
- Westerhall Rum No. 5 (Grenada)
- Westerhall Rum No. 7 (Grenada)
- Sparrows Premium Aged Rum (St Vincent)
For mixing we use any white rum, but this is our favourite:
- Sunset Very Strong Rum (St Vincent)
For sipping over ice, these are our top choices:
- Mount Gay Triple Cask Blend XO (Barbados)
- Westerhall Rum No. 10 (Grenada)
- Depaz Port Cask Finish aged Rhum (Martinique)
- Captain Bligh XO (St Vincent)
We hope you enjoy making this cocktail. And be sure to check back for more cocktail recipes and galley guides!
Neil & Sam
The BlueFoot Travel Team
About BlueFoot Travel
We offer sailing holidays in the Caribbean. Join us on a private yacht and experience an unforgettable by-the-cabin charter. Use our Sailing Trip schedule to book a cabin for your sailing vacation – ideal for solo and single travellers, couples and small groups. Relax and recharge. Enjoy delicious healthy food. Get hands-on sailing experience with an RYA sailing instructor. And, have lots of fun as we sail from one beautiful island to the next. Sail in style with BlueFoot Travel.